Of course, there's a lot that he didn't tell you about Education Week's evaluation of the Mississippi education system, and what he didn't tell you explains why our public schools are in such bad shape.
So let's take a look at some of Mississippi's grades from Education Week that Gov. Phil Bryant didn't share with you last night.
First, let's look at how we are doing funding-wise:
- Spending: F (48.4) !!!!!!!!
- Building & supporting capacity: F (56.7)
- School Finance: D (66.1)
Now, you know where Education Week says we are doing a great job? Accountability!
- Standards, Assessments, & Accountability: A (92.8)
- Standards: A (100.0)
- School accountability: A (100.0)
So when you have plenty of accountability, but no funding, what does that get you?
- Chance for Success: D+ (68.9)
- The Teaching Profession: D (66.5)
- Adult outcomes: D+ (68.2)
- College readiness: D- (60.0)
- K-12 Achievement: F (56.6)
How much longer are we going to have to wait until we elect leaders who understand the very simple concept that schools require adequate funding in order to teach our children?
Remember, we choose these leaders, Mississippi.