Monday, November 19, 2012

C-L reports that Kevin McGee cut a deal to avoid further prosecution

The Clarion-Ledger has a story up saying that the Ethics Commission has cut a deal with former Representative Kevin McGee (R - Brandon) in which he will pay a $10,000 fine and leave the Legislature in exchange for the Commission not pursuing the case against him any further.  That's a heck of a deal, considering that he was ordered by the Commission to repay $346,000 earlier this year.

McGee, one of Speaker Philip Gunn's chief lieutenants in the Legislature, was active on Twitter this afternoon in response to the news.  At one point, McGee tweeted "To my new follower who wants to laugh at my misery you won't find any misery here! Plus my replacement will be just like me! Good luck."

Well, since McGee just made off with well over $300,000 in taxpayer funds in exchange for a $10,000 fine and giving up his seat in the Legislature, misery is about the last thing I'd expect McGee to be feeling.  And let's hope that McGee's replacement isn't just like him.  I don't know that our budget can handle another Rankin County representative gone wild.

No comments: