Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Sen. David Baria responds to new false attack ad from Dorothy Wilcox

Yet again, Dorothy Wilcox is attacking David Baria (D-Bay St. Louis) falsely through the mail. Here's Baria's response:
In her latest mailer Dorothy Wilcox hits a new low with a trifecta of misrepresentations regarding my business and legal careers, and campaign fundraising. In fact, aside from getting my name right there is little else in the mail piece that is true.

She alleges that I "profited" from Katrina. Like everyone, I was overwhelmed by the devastation of Katrina and wanted to help us get back on our feet as quickly as possible. I did start two companies in the months following Katrina, and like any small business owner I wanted these businesses to be successful. However, I can assure you that I made significantly less money during the four years that I ran a demolition company than I would have made practicing law--and, contrary to Mrs. Wilcox's insinuations, I have never made millions practicing law.

Dorothy Wilcox says that I "gouged" a client in my legal practice. The legal case Dorothy references in her mail piece was one in which I represented a Minister who had been denied workers compensation for an on-the-job injury. Surely Dorothy didn't even bother to read the case or she would have known that she has misrepresented the entire matter. I assure you that Reverend Cook had no complaints about my representation in his case.

Mrs. Wilcox also says that I spent $14,000 playing golf at "ritzy golf clubs" (like the Bridges in Bay St. Louis). Everyone knows that I have held a golf tournament for the last three years at a local course. I have been blessed to have over 200 golfers play in those tournaments. Each year I receive a bill for the rounds of golf and the food we serve to the golfers. Because of the great participation we have had, I have been able to give $8,000 to local charities from tournament proceeds. As all of my friends who have ever played golf with me can attest, I am way too bad a golfer to be accused of having spent that kind of money on my own golf game.

Finally, in a case of the pot calling the kettle black, Dorothy Wilcox has raised 99.9% of her campaign cash from PACS, but says it's wrong for me to have taken PAC money over the last 4 years. In fact, her mailer is paid for by a PAC! More importantly, most of my contributors are local individuals and businesses. Whereas, Mrs. Wilcox has only a single contributor from Hancock County. I am very thankful that I was fortunate enough to have raised a decent amount of money over the last four years. If I had not it would have been impossible to have run this campaign against someone as well-financed as Dorothy Wilcox.

For whatever reason, Mrs. Wilcox has chosen to campaign in the way that she has. That is her choice, but she does not offer solutions to the issues affecting Hancock County or a plan to better the problems we face. I assure you that I am focused on bettering Hancock County and dealing with the issues that matter to us.

Wilcox's approach is the lowest form of campaigning. (Here's another post on ANOTHER negative mailer Wilcox has sent.)

No comments: