Thursday, March 31, 2011

Rep. Flaggs, you're 1/3rd of the way to a dinner on me, sir

Rep. George Flaggs (D - Vicksburg) and I made a friendly bet last night about how the remainder of the session will play out. He made 3 predictions about how some of the most important unresolved issues will play out. In order to win, he has to be right on all three. Well, he nailed one of the predictions already, as a budget compromise was reached late yesterday evening. The new budget will cut $15M in education funding, but Gov. Barbour has promised to fill that hole with money he gets from the stimulus package. We got level funding on education, and I don't care how we got there. I do wish that we could find the money to fund education as we did a few years ago, though. I know that would be a blessing to systems like Clinton Public Schools that laid off teachers last year.

Anyway, I'm going to keep the details of the other predictions secret until they're met. I'll post here each time Rep. Flaggs gets closer to winning.

No comments: